For adventure-seekers, you shouldn’t miss this exciting tour to the authentic, less-travelled part of the island, the South Coast of Chania.
Far West of Crete Private Tour
- Experience an authentic, epic adventure in one of the most iconic island’s corners, home to the stunning White Mountains, gorges, and endless wild landscapes.
- Hike through stunning Imbros Gorge, once the hidden pathway for ANZAC soldiers.
- Learn about the Cretan herbs’ therapeutic qualities.
- Relax on the pristine sandy beach of Fragokastello, soaking up the Mediterranean sun and enjoying the stunning views of the Libyan Sea.
- Private Group
- Price Per Person min 2 people
Departure Point, Traveler pickup is offered. We will pick you up form your Hotel or Cruise Ship.
Pick up from Chania hotel is included in the tour price. We can offer pick up/drop off transfer to any other location at an extra charge.
Experience an authentic adventure in Crete
Discover the “authentic Crete” that most tourists don’t see by joining us on an amazing road trip to Sfakia, Crete’s most remote and rugged region, home to the impressive White Mountains (being really white due to snow until early summer!)
Experience an 8-hour epic Crete tour, full of activities for the whole family, including hiking in deep gorges, sampling of local tastes, amazing storytelling and towering mountains, and endless blue sea views of unparalleled beauty.
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour
- You visit villages far from mass tourism and collaborate with the locals, supporting these small communities financially.
- By sampling products that originate from the Cretan countryside, you promote 100% local, family-owned businesses such as a local cheese monger and a local botanist.
Leaving behind us Chania and its Venetian port, we’ll drive you deep into the southern part of the island, the Sfakia region with its memorable scenic routes and the endless wild landscapes.
Sfakia is the land of the massive Lefka Ori, also known as the White Mountains, famous for Pachnes, its highest peak as well, the numerous gorges, and the endless views to the Libyan Sea. Aside from this astonishing beauty, the land of Sfakia has a million tales to tell you, such as stories about the turbulent but heroic past of brave rebel Sfakians, who fought for freedom.
The first stop of your day is at Askifou Plateau at an altitude of 730 meters, a natural picture-pretty valley surrounded by the White Mountains. From here, you’ll start your hike into the Imbros Gorge, an outstanding 8-kilometer gorge. During the 2,5 hours approximately easy hike, you’ll have the opportunity to admire amazing geological formations of very narrow passages, capture your best photos with your family, and learn about the fauna and flora that you’ll encounter along the way.
Especially for Australian, New Zealander, British, or WWII story lovers, walking through the gorge is almost a pilgrimage, as this gorge was the only escape route in May 1941 for fleeing ANZACs who fought with the allied troops in Crete, and finally, they succeeded in sailing to Egypt. We will have many breathtaking stories to share with you.
Next, we will head to Frangokastello, one of the most famous beaches of Crete, famous for the local Venetian castle on the beautiful beach and the legendary ghosts of Drosoulites. Located on the southern coast of Crete, this hidden gem offers crystal-clear turquoise waters teeming with vibrant marine life. This 14th-century fortress adds a touch of history and charm to the snorkeling experience, making it even more unique and memorable. Be mesmerized by the beauty and tranquility of this snorkeling destination.
After snorkeling, you can relax on the pristine sandy beach, soaking up the Mediterranean sun and enjoying the stunning views of the Libyan Sea before indulging in a delicious seaside lunch at one of the local tavernas, savoring the fresh catch of the day before heading back to Chania town.
Private vehicle, awarded mountain guide, entrance ticket to the gorge, water and fruit
You will have time for lunch at your own cost, souvenirs and items of a personal nature, tips, and gratuities
- Food Allergies: Unless you suffer from multiple, combined food allergies, or unless you are a vegan, we will figure it out. Vegetarians are welcome on all tours.
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking/hiking.
- If you are happy with the services provided by your local a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on this tour.
- All our team members are fully vaccinated.