For adventure-seekers, you shouldn’t miss this exciting tour to the authentic, less-travelled part of the island, the South Coast of Chania.
Cretan Wild Views & Slow Food Tour
- Explore the dazzling Therisso gorge with its lush landscape, and admire spectacular views from traditional hilltop villages.
- Taste the famous “Sfakiani sweet pita” paired with a glass of raki or traditional Greek coffee at a locals’ favorite kafenion.
- Enjoy a private wine tasting session with some of the best local wines at a family winery.
- Sample the famous dairy products and homemade honey of the region at a family-run farm.
- Enjoy slow-cooked local organic dishes in a mountainous farm to table restaurant.
Departure Point, Traveler pickup is offered. We will pick you up form your Hotel or Cruise Ship.
Pick up from Chania hotel is included in the tour price. We can offer pick up/drop off transfer to any other location at an extra charge.
Admire spectacular views and explore the local slow food
Explore traditional villages, admire epic sceneries, discover the Cretan culture, hear stories of the area’s thrilling past and indulge yourself by trying the best “slow food,” wine and raki in the region.
This is a family-friendly experience and an introduction to a “slower” and healthier way of living based on our local traditions and customs.
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour
- Rural tourism is promoted as we support local economies and deep-rooted traditions that don’t generally benefit from tourism.
- By visiting a family farm where you learn about local dairy products, and sampling its freshly produced cheese and yogurt, you support them financially.
- Traditional culture and a way of living that could be lost if not preserved are supported by visiting a locally run restaurant and its farm.
- During this tour, you sample locally-sourced food from Crete’s villages, farmers and stock-breeders.
- By visiting a small-scale family winery, indigenous grape varieties and the making of local Cretan wines are promoted.
Our tour will start with a drive through spectacular Therisso Gorge, a dazzling gorge with an outstanding forest landscape filled with oak and chestnut trees, heading to the picturesque namesake settlement, a pretty “lost” village with dramatic mountain scenery and a noteworthy history that has without a doubt left a lasting mark on the island.
On your way, you’ll have the opportunity to explore the nearby Sarakina Cave perched at the edge of the cliffs. Meander down ancient paths and imagine how inhabitants of the past might have lived during the mythical Minoan civilization.
Then, going downhill to the village, it’s time to relax your muscles in a local favourite kafenion, the traditional Greek-style café where you sample the famous “sfakiani pita”, lovingly drizzled with thyme-infused honey, and wash it back with a glass of raki, Crete’s most famous spirit or a Greek coffee, depending on what you would prefer.
Next, you’ll stroll around Therisso village which has played a vital role in the modern history of Crete. Sitting at the foothills of the scenic Lefka Ori (White Mountains), Therisso village was the starting point of the “1905” revolt, which in turn led to the Crete’s union with Greece in 1913. During your walk, you’ll visit several historical monuments, such as the National Resistance Museum and the headquarters of Eleftherios Venizelos, the leader of the revolt and one of the forthcoming Prime Ministers of Greece.
Continuing the drive through the dramatic mountainous countryside, you’ll have the chance to shoot your best photos as you pass through other traditional Cretan villages, still untouched and off the beaten path by tourism.
The next stop will be in a family-run farm where you’ll sample the region’s famous dairy products, such as freshly produced yogurt and cheese, while then, you’ll head to a typical slow food restaurant where you’ll enjoy a traditional lunch cooked over an open fire in clay pots.
As your food is being prepared, you’ll experience the local rural life by visiting a small nearby farm where you’ll see how the locals use the land to make their living.
Before enjoying your delicious organic lunch, do not forget to ask the restaurant’s owner to show you to his wine cellar where you’ll discover the delights of Cretan vines.
After your mouthwatering lunch, you’ll continue your exploration of local tastes by sampling what is considered the best region’s honey at a small family-owned business.
Moving onto our last stop, enjoy some local wine at one of Crete’s best family wineries, set in a magnificent location. Learn about Crete’s indigenous varieties and exceptional wines while participating in a three-glass wine tasting of local wines paired with local cheese.
The day comes to an end having experienced authentic Cretan hospitality. It’s time now to drive you through the countryside for one last look at perfection and drop you off at your hotel. We will be more than happy to make recommendations for what else you can do on the island.
transportation during the tour, a sampling of three local wines accompanied by feta cheese, olives and rusks, bottle of water, one glass of raki, a seasonal 3 course, slow-cooked Cretan lunch (consisting of meat and vegetables), tastings of local honey, olive oil, cheese, yogurt, and local sweets. Entrance to the National Resistance Museum.
Additional food and drink, souvenirs and items of a personal nature, tips and gratuities