Explore traditional villages, admire epic sceneries, discover the Cretan culture, hear stories of the area’s thrilling past and try the best “slow food.”
Private Rethymno Villages Adventure
- Discover Cretan rural life in one of the most spectacular hilly parts of Crete (Rethymnon region) and get a glimpse of how life was back in the late 19th century.
- Indulge in organic local products and learn the culinary secrets of the island.
- Visit the most sacred symbol of Cretans’ struggle for Freedom the Arkadi Monastery, as well as other amazing hidden gems.
- Explore an off-the-beaten-path village and learn about – Cretan herbs and their use in everyday life.
- Enjoy a walk through the charming village of Margarites known for its traditional pottery crafts
- Private Group
- Price Per Person min 2 people
Departure Point, Traveler pickup is offered. We will pick you up form your Hotel or Cruise Ship.
Pick-up from Chania hotels is included in the tour price. We can offer pick up/drop off transfer to any other location at an extra charge.
Discover rural life in one of the most hilly parts of Crete
On our Rethymno Villages Adventure tour, we will hit the road to the lush rolling hills area of the Rethymnon region where bucolic medieval villages and iconic historic sites are located.
Let us introduce you to the authentic rural areas of Crete, a side of the island beyond the city centers that doesn’t see too many tourists by exploring abandoned historic monasteries and a medieval town, and passing through the oldest olive groves in the Mediterranean, indulging in local recipes and admiring ancient ceramic techniques! Adventure awaits!
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour
- Rural tourism is promoted as we support local economies and deep-rooted traditions that don’t generally benefit from tourism.
- Traditional ways of cooking are supported that could be lost if not preserved.
- This tour promotes the traditional way of living and the customs of the area by visiting local craftsmen in their traditional venues
You begin our Crete adventure tour with a wonderful scenic ride to the rolling hillsides of Crete’s Rethymno countryside. In a tiny village, you’ll visit a courtyard of a house, made famous through folklore where you will sip a morning Greek coffee or local mountain tea while hearing stories about life in the 19th-century Crete by the traditional house Museum owner.
As we continue our drive, you’ll see the authentic side of Crete, a side of the island that is not often enjoyed by tourists.
Next, you’ll visit the Monastery of Arkadi, one of the island’s most famous landmarks and the most sacred symbol of Cretans’ struggle for Freedom. Explore this fortified monastery surrounded by striking natural beauty, enjoy its monumental architecture that will steal your heart, and listen to revolutionary stories and numerous legends of proud Cretan people. The time will be enough for taking a tour within its walls and admiring the refectory, the museum, an icon shop, as well as the religious edifices.
Continuing the tour, we will drive to Margarites village in Rethymno, a hidden gem nestled in the heart of Crete. This charming village is a must-visit destination for those seeking an authentic and cultural experience. Known for its traditional pottery craftsmanship, Margarites offers a unique opportunity to witness the age-old art of pottery making. Stroll through the narrow streets lined with workshops and witness skilled artisans shaping clay into beautiful and intricate designs. Immerse yourself in the rich history and tradition of pottery as you explore the local museums and galleries. Indulge in the local cuisine at quaint tavernas, where you can savor traditional Cretan dishes made with fresh, locally sourced ingredients. Margarites Village also boasts stunning natural beauty, with picturesque landscapes and breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains. Whether you are a pottery enthusiast, a history buff, or simply seeking a peaceful and authentic escape, Margarites Village is the perfect destination to unwind and immerse yourself in the beauty of Crete.
Before your tour comes to an end, finish your day off with some traditional Cretan sweets and raki, of course!
Don’t forget to ask us for more hints and tips on how to get the best out of your trip to amazing Crete.
Private ransportation, coffee, sweets, 3-course lunch, wine, fresh orange juice for children
Additional food and drink, souvenirs and items of a personal nature, tips and gratuities
- Food Allergies: Unless you suffer from multiple, combined food allergies, or unless you are a vegan, we will figure it out. Vegetarians are welcome on all tours.
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking.
- In general, there are few dress restrictions in Europe and dress codes are similar to those you are used to at home. Please note though that in many churches modest dress is required; no shorts or
skimpy tops are permitted.
- If you are happy with the services provided by your local a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on this tour.
- All our team members are fully vaccinated.