Explore traditional villages, admire epic sceneries, discover the Cretan culture, hear stories of the area’s thrilling past and try the best “slow food.”
Private Cretan Villages Adventure
- Discover Cretan rural life in one of the most spectacular hilly parts of Crete (Rethymnon region) and get a glimpse of how life was back in the late 19th century.
- Participate in a hands-on cooking class with organic products and learn the culinary secrets of the island.
- Reveal your explorer instincts at an abandoned monastery and through a lush gorge.
- Visit the most sacred symbol of Cretans’ struggle for Freedom as well, other amazing hidden gems.
- Explore an off the beaten path village and learn about – Cretan herbs and their use in everyday life.
- Enjoy memorable views of the surrounding mountains and capture your best photos.
- Private Group
- Price Per Person min 2 people
Departure Point, Traveler pickup is offered. We will pick you up form your Hotel or Cruise Ship.
Pick up from Chania hotel is included in the tour price. We can offer pick up/drop off transfer to any other location at an extra charge.
Discover rural life in one of the most hilly parts of Crete
On our Cretan Villages Adventure tour, we will hit the road to the lush rolling hills area of the Rethymnon region where bucolic medieval villages and iconic historic sites are located.
Let us introduce you to the authentic rural areas of Crete, a side of the island beyond the city centers that doesn’t see too many tourists by exploring abandoned historic monasteries and a medieval town, passing through the oldest olive groves in the Mediterranean, and even trekking through a gorge! Learn the culinary secrets of the island and test your skills in a hands-on cooking class. Adventures await!
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour
- Rural tourism is promoted as we support local economies and deep-rooted traditions that don’t generally benefit from tourism.
- You visit a family farm where you learn about local products and traditional cooking techniques as you participate in a hands-on cooking class.
- Traditional ways of cooking are supported that could be lost if not preserved.
- This tour promotes the traditional way of living and the customs of the area by visiting a local family in their traditional home.
You begin our Crete adventure tour with a wonderful scenic ride to the rolling hillsides of Crete’s countryside. In a tiny village, you’ll visit a courtyard of a house, made famous through folklore where you will sip a morning Greek coffee or local mountain tea while hearing stories about life in the 19th-century Crete by the house’s owner. As we continue our drive, you’ll see the authentic side of Crete, a side of the island that is not often enjoyed by tourists.
Next, you’ll visit the Monastery of Arkadi, one of the island’s most famous landmarks and the most sacred symbol of Cretans’ struggle for Freedom. Explore this fortified monastery surrounded by striking natural beauty, enjoy its monumental architecture that will steal your heart, and listen to revolutionary stories and numerous legends of proud-Cretan people. The time will be enough for taking a tour within its walls and admiring the refectory, the museum, an icon shop, as well as the religious edifices.
Continuing the tour, your next mission will be to discover Cretan rural life and experience local cuisine. Roll up your sleeves and participate in a hands-on cooking class in a charming traditional mountaintop village. Learn about local products and traditional cooking techniques and prepare your own Cretan-style mouthwatering lunch.
While your food is slowly cooked, explore this remote region more, having a village’s resident by your side. Discover a quaint Byzantine church from the 11th century and admire its well-preserved, outstanding mosaics and frescoes. Moreover, explore nearby nature and learn about the importance of Cretan herbs in locals’ everyday life as they still use them following centuries-old recipes, from medicine to cooking!
Then, in the heart of the Amari Valley, you’ll discover an abandoned monastery, an amazing hidden gem that flourished during the medieval times but was turned into an agricultural school in the mid-20th century. Walk through the deserted rooms that were once full of life and reveal your explorer instincts!
As you are probably starving, you’ll catch our vehicle that will take you back to the village. Your lunch will be ready for you to enjoy. Experience a three-course meal by tasting apart from your fresh-baked bread, other products from the family’s farm while enjoying breathtaking views of the region’s mountains.
Once you’ve filled your belly, you’ll venture for about half an hour through one of the most beautiful landscapes of Crete, a lush gorge with running waters and a cave church. Capture here some of your best photos!
Before your tour comes to an end, finish your day off with some traditional Cretan sweets and raki, of course!
Don’t forget to ask us for more hints and tips on how to get the best out of your trip to amazing Crete.
transportation, coffee, sweets, 3-course lunch, wine, fresh orange juice for children
Additional food and drink, souvenirs and items of a personal nature, tips and gratuities
- Food Allergies: Unless you suffer from multiple, combined food allergies, or unless you are a vegan, we will figure it out. Vegetarians are welcome on all tours.
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking.
- In general, there are few dress restrictions in Europe and dress codes are similar to those you are used to at home. Please note though that in many churches modest dress is required; no shorts or
skimpy tops are permitted.
- If you are happy with the services provided by your local a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on this tour.
- All our team members are fully vaccinated.