Discover rural life in Crete in one of the most hilly parts of the island, the Rethymnon region, where bucolic medieval villages and historic sites are located.
Cretan South Coast Adventure Private Tour
- Experience an amazing private adventure on the south coast of Crete by visiting unique off-the-beaten-track spots such as a charming coastal village.
- Follow a trail for a 90-minute hike through a captivating gorge to a place with outstanding views, interesting flora, and peaceful moments away from tourists.
- Discover a secret ancient city with ‘healing’ waters and mythical energy.
- Hop on a fishing boat to an impressive secluded beach and swim into the blue waters of the Mediterranean Sea.
- Indulge into a mouthwatering farm-to-table meal and learn more about the Cretan cuisine at a traditional village
- Private Group
- Price Per Person min 2 people
Departure Point, Traveler pickup is offered. We will pick you up form your Hotel or Cruise Ship.
Pick-up from Chania hotels is included in the tour price. We can offer pick up/drop off transfer to any other location at an extra charge.
Discover Cretan’s South Coast
Reveal your Indiana Jones instincts as you explore a Cretan village, venture into a gorge, discover an ancient city, freshen up with the ‘healing water,’ swim in the deep blue sea, and indulge in farm-to-table local recipes. Be positive and open-minded and you’ll experience an adventure of a lifetime!
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour
- The tour promotes villages far from mass tourism and collaborating with the locals, supports small communities financially.
- The tour promotes local products by enjoying a local organic breakfast/lunch made entirely with products from the area.
On this Cretan adventure will drive you away from the town to the less travelled road heading to the southern coast of the island. After meeting us, enjoy a two-hour ride that will take you to a seaside village away from tourist hordes.
Upon reaching this small, laid-back village, you’ll follow an easy trail heading to the ancient city of Lissos. During ancient times, Lissos was one of the most powerful trading and fishing hubs of the area that was totally abandoned all of a sudden, due to a destructive earthquake. Till nowadays, the ancient city hasn’t been totally excavated, and believed that some important buildings such as the temple for the goddess Diktinna are still underground.
Hike under the old pine trees and from the top of a hill to admire the breathtaking scenery with the namesake gorge beneath you and the bright blue sea in the distance. Then, following the trail, you’ll reach a barrel plateau with views over rocks that meet the sea. This is the place of the ancient Asclepieion, a healing temple, built in the third century B.C.E and dedicated to the god Asclepius.
You’ll have two hours to explore the area of Asclepieion, walk around the ruins, drink ‘healing water’ from the spring used in the ancient ceremonies and the therapeutic sessions, and learn from your guide the herbs and flora used in the Cretan diet.
Please keep in mind that the full walk through the trail is approximately 90 minutes with stops, with elevations of 250 meters up, and almost 400 meters down.
Then, after half an hour of easy walk, you’ll approach a sandy beach with fine pebbles. For the next hours, soak up the sun, dive into the crystal-clear waters, and enjoy some fresh fruit.
Afterward, you’ll hop on a fishing boat to go back to our starting point, Sougia village.
Next, you’ll visit a remote charming village where you’ll enjoy a 3-course farm-to-table local menu and wash it down with local wine!
Your Cretan exploration of this unspoiled island’s corner comes to an end but before we part ways, don’t forget to ask us for more hints and tips on how to get the best of your trip to amazing Crete.
Private transportation, seasonal fruit, a 3-course meal, local sweets, raki (a local spirit)
Additional food and drink, souvenirs and items of a personal nature, tips and gratuities
- Food Allergies: Unless you suffer from multiple, combined food allergies, or unless you are a vegan, we will figure it out. Vegetarians are welcome on all tours.
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking.
- If you are happy with the services provided by your local a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on this tour.
- All our team members are fully vaccinated.