Explore traditional villages, admire epic sceneries, discover the Cretan culture, hear stories of the area’s thrilling past and try the best “slow food.”
- Wind your way through the labyrinth of Venetian and Ottoman streets like a local.
- Visit local artisans as they work in their workshops.
- Participate in a unique wine tasting by sampling different local wines.
- Learn about famous local gastronomy while savouring Cretan flavours such as the traditional koulouri, Greek coffee, Cretan pastries, and cheese and olives.
- Listen to tales, myths, and legends of the city while wandering through its layers of history.
Our guide will be standing at The Square of the Four Martyrs in the centre of modern Rethymnon (in front of the Four Martyrs Church).
The guide will be standing on the square in front of the church holding a Crete Local Adventures sign.
Gerakari 6, Rethymno 741 00. See the Map
Discover the authentic side of Rethymno with local guides
Experience the authentic side of Rethymno through the eyes and storytelling of locals by ‘conquering’ the old city, an area with centuries-old turbulent history, full of stories and tales with Venetians, Byzantines, and pirates!
Follow the footsteps of aristocrats, sultans, and warriors while exploring its windy streets and discover hidden spots. Visit artisans and craftsmen, and taste local Cretan flavours!
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour
- By promoting the work and the enterprises of local artisans such as a traditional instrument maker, a wood craftsman, and a leather bag maker, this tour works to support them financially.
- You visit the last remaining workshop of Rethymnon that produces the main ingredient for baklava and meet the phyllo maker as he works on this old traditional process.
- During this tour, you sample locally-sourced food from Crete’s villages, farmers, and stock-breeders.
- You visit a 100% local family-owned restaurant that serves traditional Cretan dishes.
Leave any ‘impersonal’ reading of guidebooks aside and discover the real Crete by following this Rethymnon food and culture private tour and hear insider tales and stories that only locals know. With your local guide explore the old town of Rethymnon discovering apart from the classic historic landmarks, the authentic everyday life, and heartbeat of the city.
Through Rethymno’s windy streets we’ll reveal to you the long, rich thousand-or-so years of history of a city that began to grow after it was conquered by the Venetians, something that you can spot throughout the city.
You’ll start your tour with a freshly brewed Greek coffee in a local kafeneion, mingling with locals, and learning how the conquerors from east and west influenced Crete’s culinary diet. If you are wondering what the future beholds for you, find it out by reading your Greek coffee cup, a centuries-old tradition!
Then, we’ll stroll through Sabbionara to the cobblestone labyrinth of the old Ottoman district passing by impressive mansions with their unique external decorations and artistic door frames. You’ll discover the different layers of the city’s history by walking by mosques, Catholic churches and temples turned into mosques. Don’t forget your camera as these are all “instagramable” opportunities. On your way, you’ll visit local craftsmen as they work in their workshops.
Next, you will have the opportunity to discover Crete through its unique flavours. Get familiar with the secrets of the acclaimed Cretan diet by sampling local nibbles such as the traditional sesame-bread-ring koulouri, local fresh cheese, and olives, as well, tasting the world-famous Cretan olive oil and learning why it is considered one of the best in the world.
You’ll continue your venture through the most remarkable streets and the hidden back alleys of the old city and you’ll seize the chance to capture countless of your best photos with some of the most picturesque city’s corners and authentic-local-souvenir shops.
Your last stop is a secret garden in the centre of the Old Town, where you’ll participate in a unique wine tasting of local wines. Keep in mind that the history of vine cultivation and wine production in Crete goes back to 1600 B.C.!
Your Rethymnon walking tour will end here from where you can continue your own personal exploration through the city and the waterfront promenade. Your guide will be more than happy to advise you on your next move and recommend other places of interest.
Local English-speaking guide, local food, and beverage samples, coffee or soft drink, a glass of wine
Additional food and drink, souvenirs and items of a personal nature, tips and gratuities for your guide